Friday, July 11, 2014

Heading Down The Long Road chapter 5

Chapter 5 of Heading Down The Long Road (the 4th book in The Long Road series) is up. You can find the chapter here.

If you have not read the first 4 chapters yet, you can find them here.

Here's a little preview of what you'll find:

Dave looked up as he heard someone knock on the door frame. “Dave, can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure Stan. What’s up?”

“What can I do to convince you to reconsider leaving?”

“Stan, we’ve been all through this and out the other side. I feel I can do more for the community working for the Center. You know I’ve been stonewalled every time I’ve tried to do something for them. I’ve gone as far as I can go here.”

“That’s not true, Dave. You did an incredible job as acting mayor when I had my heart attack.” The mayor sat on the edge of Dave’s desk. “I’m going to tell you something that for the time being needs to stay between us.”

“Sure.”

“My heart attack was more severe than anyone was allowed to know. Basically I have a choice, resign as mayor or risk another, possibly fatal, heart attack.”

Dave sat back in his chair. “Wow. I didn’t know it was that serious. So what are you going to do?”

“I don’t have a choice. I have to resign. That’s why I want you to reconsider leaving. I want you to succeed me. You’ve proven you can handle the job.”

“There would have to be a majority vote from the city council. You know as well as I do that they will not, to use their words, tolerate a faggot for mayor. When I was acting mayor, they stonewalled me on everything just on principle. It didn’t matter what it was. I definitely understand where you’re coming from, and I sympathize, but they’ll never agree to me succeeding you, even for one day. Look at what happened when you had a heart attack. The Governor had to step in and force them to accept me as acting mayor.”

“You’re right. I’ve butted heads with them more times than I care to admit on just about everything, and I’m straight. I can only imagine how much harder it was for you with those self-serving ultra-conservative jerks.” He sighed and smiled sardonically. “Well, you can’t blame me for trying.” He stood and extended his hand to Dave, who immediately stood and shook it. “You’ve been a hell of a deputy mayor. I wish you the best of luck in your new job and if you ever need anything, please don’t hesitate to call me.” He walked out the door, leaving Dave in deep thought as he put the top on the last box of his personal possessions. He took it down to his car then returned to his now former office. “Colleen” he addressed his secretary “you’ve been awesome, and I will truly miss you. If you ever need anything please call me. You have my number.” He gave her a quick hug before giving her his keys and ID.

“I’ll miss you too, Dave. You’ve been a great boss. Good luck with your new job and please, stay in touch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment