Sunday, June 1, 2014

Heading Down The Long Road chapter 1


Chapter 1 of the 4th book of The Long Road series, Heading Down The Long Road, is now online.

Welcome, everyone to the latest installment of my The Long Road series. This is book 4 (for those who read the original manuscript, The Long Road was split into The Long Road (book 1) and Continuing Down The Long Road (book 2) due to it's length).

Some of you will no doubt notice a lot of similarities between Heading Down The Long Road chapter 1 and The Long Road chapter 16. They are very similar, but the events are being told from two different character's perspectives.

Please feel free to leave comments, questions, suggestions or feedback in the comments section. You may also contact me directly at playmaster0023@yahoo.com. It may take a couple of days for me to respond, but I will definitely respond.
  
Click here to read chapter 1. Here's a little teaser of what you'll find...




Okay, the lunch dishes are done, there’s a load in the washer. Should I mow the lawn or should I prepare my letter of resignation? I know the Mayor wanted me to succeed him, but I’m fed up with the petty politics and being stonewalled every time I tried to do something good for the community. I can do more working for the LGBT Center in their Public Policy office. Dave mentally checked off items on his to-do list when his phone rang. “Dave Barton”.

“Hi Dave, its Tommy.

“Hey T-Man, how’s things?”

"Not so good. That's why I'm calling you. I'm over at Kyle's. He's just been raped and had the shit kicked out of him by someone wearing an FBI hat."

"WHAT?????? Is he okay?" Dave collapsed into the nearest chair, eyes glistening with moisture. First he comes home and finds Jayson cheating on him, now this. Poor Kyle.

"No, he's not. He's a mess. But that's not why I'm calling you. There's a cop here who's being a total dick to him. He just threatened to shove his nightstick up Kyle's ass, saying that all fucking faggots love to have things shoved up their asses. Kyle's going through enough without pricks like him making things worse."

"What's the officer's name?" He asked. If it’s that fucking Kenson, Burke’s getting a call. Something’s got to be done about that asshole.

"I don't know. Hang on a sec and I'll find out." A minute later Tommy came back on the line. "Kenson."

"Shit! Here we go again. I'm sorry, Tommy. I'll take care of this immediately." Dave seethed.

"What can you do?"

"I'll make sure both the Commissioner and the Mayor hear about this. Can you write me up a statement as to what happened?"

"I'll be glad to." Tommy responded, his anger very much in evidence in his voice.

"There have been a lot of complaints against this guy from the gay community. The Chief of Police may turn a blind eye, but I guarantee the Commissioner won't. Nor will the Mayor." He told Tommy, furious that the Police Chief refused to act upon the multitude of complaints against the obviously bigoted officer.

"I know. That's why I called you. Sorry to have to call you on your day off with this."

"I'm glad you did. Something like this can't wait. Let me call you back." He hung up and dialed the Police Commissioner’s phone number. Please be home. He prayed.

"Commissioner Burke."

Okay, here we go. He’s going to have a cow over this. "Fred, its Dave Barton. Sorry to bother you on a Saturday, but I just got a call from a friend of mine. A mutual friend of ours has just been beaten and raped in his home. One of the investigating officers just threatened the victim with bodily injury. I'm on my way over to check out the situation and thought you would want to know."

"You wouldn't happen to know the officer's name would you?"
"I think you know who it is." Dave replied with anger and disgust in his voice

The Commissioner’s deep sigh of resignation was quite audible coming through the phone. "Don't tell me, let me guess. Kenson." The Commissioner’s response held the same anger and disgust as Dave’s did.

"A-yep."

"That fucking ass-wipe has stepped over the line for the last time. What's the address? I'll meet you there.”

2 comments: